Birth Stories Part Deux!!

Today I am reflecting back on the days leading up to and including Lucas’ birthday. Really he was the most uneventful of my pregnancies and labors. 

We got pregnant with Lucas not long after we got back to Colorado after losing Caiden, we were crushed that we lost our baby and were ready for our rainbow baby, if God was ready for us to have one. I didn’t even think I was pregnant, I had a doozy of a stomach bug and my mom continued to ask me if I was sure I wasn’t pregnant. I kept telling her there was no way because I had taken a pregnancy test just the day before, I ended up in the ER for fluids and anti-nausea meds and they asked me a million times if I was pregnant, and did a urine test, all negative. I swore I wasn’t pregnant. I went to the ER in the morning and was home all day, that night I couldn’t sleep so I decided to try another pregnancy test. It was 2AM and Ty was asleep and I got a positive pregnancy test. I was elated, shocked, and most of all completely terrified. 

Most of my pregnancy was uneventful, I saw the dr more often than normal because of my history, I got injections of progesterone once a week starting at 16 weeks until I hit 35 weeks. I ended up with pregnancy induced hypertension and was put on bed rest at 28 weeks and went to Labor and Delivery twice a week for maternal and fetal monitoring. I started having contractions around 29 weeks with him, and ended up taking procardia 4 times a day, and then from then to 36 weeks it was completely boring. I sat around in bed worrying constantly. I gained a hundred pounds while I was pregnant with Lucas. yikes! 

At 36 weeks I was having pretty regular contractions, I went in and got checked out, I was dilated to a 4 and my contractions had stopped so they sent me home with instructions to have some sex and walk and see if that gets me back into labor. It apparently worked because the next afternoon my contractions were about 4 minutes apart and I was dilated to a 7. I was so excited that we were about to meet our little human. The nurse was awesome and sent Ty to get some dinner since once I was completely admitted I wouldn’t be able to eat. so I got to eat a whopper and fries while breaking the hospital rules. It was amazing! I was starving and knew my body was about to go through a lot of work to get this human here. 

I walked around until I was about 8-9 cm dilated, waiting to have to push. But everything slowed down, I was scared of the pain I was going to feel so I asked for an epidural which is honestly the worst part of my entire birthing experience. It hurt, the anesthesiologist was hateful towards me, and she had to take it out and restart it at least 6 times. She was yawning and hardly awake since it was 2AM and that should have probably been my hint that I shouldn’t have gotten my epidural haha. Well I got it, and it let me sleep the rest of the night while we waited to have our baby. My midwife broke my water and we just waited, lots of waiting. They did end up putting a monitor in Lukes scalp since I had an epidural and they needed to keep him on the monitors but with me sleeping they just couldn’t keep him on the monitor. I slept, woke up dying to meet our little one and about 8 that morning I had tyler get the nurse because I felt like I had to go to the bathroom. She checked everything out and we found out I was dilated to a 10! It wasn’t going to be long at all. 

At about 630 my epidural completely wore out (not that it worked all the way anyway). The nurses and midwife left the room to help another momma have her baby, and at 845 I felt the urge to push, Tyler ran out of the room to the nurses station (yeah leaving me totally alone and ready to push out baby!) and they came back and I told them that I was having him before 9AM. I was not going to wait all morning to meet our baby. The nurse told me that it would probably take more than 10 minutes to push him out since it was my first baby and we made a bet. It only took a few pushes and he was born, at 859AM, I was so proud of him, and that he was on board with being born before 9am.

Lucas was born April 25, 2011, he was 19 3/4 inches long and 5 lb 15 oz and totally perfect. Having him laid on my belly the second he came into this world is one moment in his life that I will never forget. We cried together, Lucas, Tyler and I, I knew Caiden had watched carefully over him and was there with us that morning. 


It has been 3 of the most amazing years of my life. He has taught me so much, of who I am, what is important in life, and how to be a better human being. He is such an amazing, smart, funny, beautiful person. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s